Tuesday, May 3, 2011

anyone for a hosta salad?...

violas
So, over the weekend, Jbo and I spent every waking minute outside working in the yard.  Still not done.  But closer. We are done with planting the new stuff that we bought last week.  In fact, we planted half the plants on Saturday and then the other half on Sunday.

Prior to planting the second half, I went out to wander and check out our new plantings and imagine how beautiful they will be in the summer...and that's when I saw it...oh the carnage!
after the deer...

what this hosta should look like.

6 of the 12 hostas we planted were eaten!  Nearly down to the ground!!  Also several tulip blooms.  At closer examination, I spied deer tracks.

Those pesky, cute little things had a tasty salad, made up of our freshly planted hostas!  A mixed salad with colorful tulip heads!  UGH!  It had been a while since I sprayed the "fox urine" onto the plants to keep them away.  That'll teach me.
coral bells

candytuft lower left

4 comments:

Charisa said...

They got mine too - blood meal seems to keep them away for me. I just noticed that they ate all my cilantro too, darn them!

Anonymous said...

For the herb garden section....I hear you can surround them with marigolds and that keeps the deer away, too.
Midl sis

Jan Marie said...

Roger wants to know how they get the fox urine.....do they follow it around with a little cup???

Jan Marie said...

Roger wants to know how they get the fox urine.....do they follow it around with a little cup???